Janine has over 25 years experience working as a physiotherapist in the area of paediatrics. Janine is trained to provide care from infancy through to geriatrics and is a member in good standing with the College of Physiotherapists of Ontario.
Janine worked as a staff physiotherapist at SickKids in Toronto from 1998 until 2014. Although her primary focus was Paediatric Oncology, she also worked extensively in many other areas including: neurosurgery and neurology, orthopaedics, general surgery, cardiology, as well the organ transplant program, including heart, liver, and kidney transplants. Janine was a Clinical Lecturer/Instructor within the Department of Physical Therapy at the University of Toronto for 15 years. She also has an interest in international health and has provided teaching and consultation services in Bosnia-Herzegovina and Qatar. She has published over 10 scientific research papers with focus primarily on physical functioning of children with brain tumours and bone tumours.
She has completed many continuing education courses such as:
- A tearless approach to torticollis - TMR Tots - Total Motion Release - for infants and children (Levels 1, 2 & 3)
- The therapist's role in treating plagiocephaly without a helmet
- Cindy Miles’ Torticollis: Assessment and Treatment of Infants and Children - Impact on the Movement System of Infants and Beyond
- The Physiotherapy Assessment of Breastfeeding Related Condition: Infant and Maternal Factors
- Introductory and Intermediate NeuroDevelopmental Treatment (NDT) for children
- Dynamic Core for Kids (DC4K) Training
- Cuevas MEDEK Exercises - Level I and II (CME I & II) Certified by Simona DeMarchi
- Paediatric Incontinence and Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
- Treatment for the Child with Mild Motor Delay
- If you can't breathe, you can't function
- Fundamental and Advanced (KT1 & KT2) Kinesiotaping
- Beyond Bands: Intermediate workshop on Balls, Bands and Balance
- Building Blocks to Co-Regulation
In the summer of 2014, Janine moved with her husband and 2 young children to Stittsville. After laying down roots in the community through volunteerism and in local activities, Janine was ready to resume her career in physiotherapy. West Ottawa Physio and providing in-home physiotherapy to young children allows for personalized assessment and treatment in a child's own and familiar environment. Additionally, it offers families the convenience of not having to travel for therapy, being able to use their own toys/equipment and learn how to best incorporate physio treatment strategies in their own home.
Janine graduated from Queen’s University with a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology in 1995, then completed the Physical Therapy Program at the University of Toronto in 1998. Additionally, she completed a Master’s of Science in Rehabilitation Science at the University of Toronto in 2005.
Copyright © 2022 West Ottawa Physio - All Rights Reserved.